You no longer need to buy expensive vegan pesto! Here is an easy recipe for homemade vegan basil Matcha pesto which will amaze your friends and family alike.
Many people simply consume Matcha as a drink. It’s been consumed that way for centuries but Matcha is such a versatile ingredient it can be used in cooking, baking and seasoning too. Quite often it is used in sweet recipes but the flavour profile of Matcha Green tea lends itself really well to savoury dishes.
I absolutely adore pesto and all of that super fresh, garlicky, herby flavour which makes a surprisingly perfect partner for the Umami, sea-weedy flavour of Matcha. This is certainly a modern twist on a classic Italian dressing.
Delicious. Light. Fresh. Pesto is something I especially start to crave once the weather gets warm! The spring kicks in and we all come out of hibernation, dust off our outdoor dining furniture, clean off the barbeque and get the picnic gear ready for our next adventure.
This pesto recipe keeps for up to 1 week when stored in the fridge and will liven up everything. Literally everything! Try the following:
- Drizzled over salad
- Spread under avocado for breakfast
- A dressing for courgette noodles
- Perfect vegan stir fry addition
- Liven up pan roasted new potatoes by crushing in Pesto
- Upgrade your hummus with a spoon of this pesto
- A dollop in your gazpacho soup
SO enough chatting from me… I think I have whet your appetite enough. Here’s how to make it:
- 50g walnuts
- 50g pine nuts
- 1 pot of fresh basil
- 70g spinach leaves
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Pinch of Pink Himalayan Salt
- 2tsp of Kineta Matcha Powder
- Splash of olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic (we love garlic but if you prefer a more subtle hint don’t use so much and just put 1 clove in)
So what benefits do each of these super ingredients give you:
- Basil is an excellent source of Vitamin K, A, C, manganese and Iron.
- Walnuts are rich in antioxidants and healthy fats
- Garlic obviously keeps the vampires away! In addition to this it is also has well-known anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal properties
- Matcha is super high in anti-oxidants, vitamins and minerals
- Himalayan rock salt is minerally balanced with a combination of vitamins and minerals.
The method is really simple, just blend up all of the ingredients in a food processor until fully combined. You don’t have to blend it until fully smooth, we actually prefer it a bit chunky for a bit of extra crunch from the nuts. The ingredients list above is our favourite combination but this recipe is really easy to make your own by switching out some of the ingredients for others.
Here are more delicious ways to use up your pesto:
- Serve with your choice of pasta, we’d go for a fresh wholemeal tagliatelle.
- Use as a dip with toasted wholemeal pitta breads.
- Spread on toasted sourdough bread and serve with chopped tomatoes, avocado and a free range poached egg- the best Sunday morning breakfast!