Matcha Green Tea contains slow-release caffeine that gives you a warming buzz without the sudden crash, making it the perfect replacement for your morning cup coffee. Like coffee, however, matcha tea can be enjoyed in different ways. There is the simple ‘just add water and mix’ approach that all matcha drinkers will be familiar with but you can also prepare it using milk, much in the same way you would make a latte.
Perfect for drinking hot during Winter or cool in the Summer, matcha green tea lattes have a delicious taste, fragrant aroma and are packed full of vitamins and minerals. Moreover, they are incredibly versatile and can be made using regular cow’s milk or alternatives such as almond milk, soy milk, rice milk, or even coconut milk, meaning anybody can drink and enjoy one.
As a matter of fact, we strongly advocate using dairy milk alternatives in matcha green tea lattes. This is because the calcium in cow’s milk may hinder the absorption of many beneficial nutrients and antioxidants present in Matcha.
So, wondering how you can make your own matcha green tea latte yet? It’s easy, you just need the following four ingredients:
- Kineta matcha green tea powder
- Demerara sugar/honey/coconut sugar
- Warm water
One teaspoon of matcha tea powder will be more than enough for 300ml of milk, so do your best to keep to a similar ratio. At least at first.
Preparing A Matcha Green Tea Latte In 6 Steps
- Place matcha green tea powder into a mug, cup or bowl along with as much or as little sugar or honey as you prefer.
- Pour enough warm water on top to cover the powder and your chosen sweetener.
- Stir with a spoon or whisk until the ingredients have made a smooth paste.
- Heat the milk in a saucepan until it is hot but not boiling.
- Pour the milk on to the matcha green tea mix.
- Mix the milk and matcha paste until you have a light green drink that is smooth and delicious.
If you want to create an Ice Matcha Green Tea Latte, simply skip step 4 and prepare to do a little bit more stirring than you otherwise would. Alternatively, use an electric hand whisk and save yourself some time.
Once you have made your matcha green tea latte (iced or otherwise) made up, why not add a little decoration? Cocoa powder is a classic choice of garnish but we think a sprinkle of matcha green tea powder would be more fitting, not to mention healthier.